The TechMatrix (www.techmatrix.org) is a powerful, free online database to help educators and families find educational and assistive technology resources and help for students with special needs. With the addition of new search features, expert advice, professional development resources, Hot Topic pages and updated product listings, the new TechMatrix is greatly expanded, easier to use, and includes many new implementation resources. Check out the new Techmatrix presence on Twitter and Ning.
To support students in the subject area of Science, the TechMatrix now includes dozens of reviewed products, research citations and resources, all gathered on a Hot Topic page, Science for Struggling Students. A newly released white paper provides the literature, rationale, and key instructional approaches for using technology to support and attract struggling students in all the areas of Science.
Transition from high school to postsecondary and the workplace is an area where technology can play a positive role for youth with disabilities. The Hot Topic page, Transitioning with Technology, offers practitioners, parents, and community service providers high quality resources and products to boost independence and productivity.
- 300 reviewed technology products in the areas of reading, writing, mathematics, science, and assistive technology
- 70 Ask the Tech Expert answers to questions submitted to partner WETA Online Media sites
- 70 Info Briefs written for practitioners and parents on topics ranging from adolescent literacy, the effective use of calculators, and technologies to help students feel safe at school.
- 250 research citations of technology implementation and evaluation studies
- 50 related websites and web tools
TechMatrix in the News
Follow the TechMatrix on:
- Search by subject area, instructional goals, grade level, disability, technology feature, and/or product name. The dynamic database also allows consumers to compare features and functionalities of current software and tools.
- Customize and share your search results with the Send to a Friend feature.
- Explore Hot Topic pages to learn more about specific topics and access targeted resources, research, professional development materials, and custom-designed searches to find the technology tools you need.
- Find targeted professional development materials and online resources to help you make the most of technology tools in your classroom.
- Review content area InfoBriefs, short, easy-to-understand and informative syntheses of research that offer recommendations and highlight best practices in educational and assistive technology written by TechMatrix staff.
- Get Expert Advice from our Tech Expert with frequently asked questions from parents, teachers, families and students about technology for individuals with disabilities.
- Learn what questions to ask and how to make informed decisions in the Consumer Guides for School Administrators and Ed Tech Vendors; this product reflects collaborative research conducted with AbleNet, Inc.
The TechMatrix is maintained by the National Center for Technology Innovation (NCTI), which is funded by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs, and housed at the American Institutes for Research.